Monday, January 28, 2013

Caldecott Day

Today, the winners of this year's Caldecott and Newbery Awards were announced.  The Caldecott medal "shall be awarded to the artist of the most distinguished American Picture Book for Children published in the United States during the preceding year."  (To read more about how the Caldecott award came to be, click here.)  



This year's winner is...








I have not yet read This Is Not My Hat, but it looks like fun.  Right now, you can get a hardcover edition on Amazon for just eight bucks.  I'll bet your local library has it, though, too.  And if they don't, I'll bet they get it soon.

I browsed the list of Caldecott winners this morning, and
the winner I'll share with you today is:  




...Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are (winner in 1964).  Maurice Sendak died this past year, which is just extra reason for me to share about this tail (...pun intended).  But the biggest reason is because of a few Halloween's ago, before I had babies and when I had many hours to spend crafting good costumes.  My hubby and I decked ourselves out as Carroll and Max, and boy was it fun!  

Mischievous Max in his wolf suit begins his adventure by getting sent to bed without supper, where he further retreats across the ocean of his imagination to discover the Wild Things.  He learns things about himself, and ultimately about love, and returns to reality to find supper waiting for him after all.  

I'm realizing there are multiple kids' books I love because after all the adventures, the little heroes return home knowing that, more than anything else, Home is full of love and is the best adventure of all.  Mamas and Daddies and Wild Things need a little space sometimes to remember it, but in the end, nobody welcomes you home with a hot supper and bear hugs quite like the people who love you at Home.  This is every child's dream.  Let's do everything in our power, Mamas and Daddies, to make it our children's reality.  Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment